Sunday, April 26, 2009

Speedy the Robot

I just finished building another bristle bot named speedy.

Speedy is a fun and simple bristle bot that I built from parts that I had lying around the house. I make the chassis from scrap metal that I had, and I shaped it using my diamond cutter. This was perhaps the most dangerous part, as cutting through sheet metal in your room isn't usually a good idea, however if the proper safety measures are taken there's no risk.

I got the motor from my brother's Xbox controller, as he is yet to discover. Working with the motor was extremely frustrating because it has very short, thin wires that left no margin for error. It was also too powerful, as often times the enormous vibrations used to move the bristle bot would loosen the hot glue that held it down.

I soldered the motor and the power supply to a switch. I've seen and read enough MAKE tutorials to know how to solder properly, and fortunately I have a bit of experience with a soldering gun. The first contact point went smoothly, however the second point took me forever to get right, and the vibrations would keep loosening it until the point it would break off. I finally decided to solder it and then wrap the connection point in hot glue to prevent short-circuiting and disconnection.

I attached all of the parts using hot glue and double-sided foam tape, and added a flashing blue, yellow, and green light display at the front to give it a cooler look (especially when its on in the dark).

I actually spent more time troubleshooting then I did building, which is always frustrating.

This isn't my most applicable robot, but I suppose it could clean some floors before I take it apart or it drives its self off of a table one foot too high.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is just so fun and funny. Now I wonder two things:

What will your brother do when he discovers the diapppearance?

Will you patent and produce any of your delightful inventions for the rest of us who are not so good a building them? I'd like one of these for small clean-ups.

Alice said...

Speedy to the rescue! How do you think up these inventions?

Brennon said...

The very first bristle bot was created by Evil Mad scientist Labs (http://www.evilmadscientist.com/), and was done by putting a tiny pager motor on top of a toothbrush head. That's where I got the idea for my first bristle bot. I personally love making them because it takes very few parts and only a small amount of time.

Unfortunately, its not really the best thing to rely on clean ups.

Anonymous said...

What a clever fellow is Speedy! Did your brother ever notice his loss?

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online