Sunday, November 22, 2009

New 3D Scanning Software and (a little) BWSL News

Global

A Cambridge student named Qui Pan has built a fantastic program that lets the user scan any desktop object with only a webcam. The computer generates a 3D model in real time, all you have to do is move the object in 360 degrees on your desk. This gets me really excited as this would be the perfect way to get 3D models into Unity games. Rather than paying $20 for a 3D model of a water bottle to use as a prop in a game, I could go out and buy a real bottle for $1, scan it, and import it into my game- no $1,000 laser scanner required.


[or watch this video here]

Micro

I've been able to spend a little more time this week coding my 3D game, but only for about 30 minutes, which is about 3 minutes in "coding time". I was able to spend about 3 hours this weekend working with an Arduino microcontroller, and hopefully I'll get on to more advanced Arduino projects later, but for now I only did enough to get the basics down.

It's been a pretty good week for the BW Science Labs Store, the Vivus the Robot kit has sold really well, and sales are going up with Christmas coming 'round the corner.

With only 2 days left in school until Thanksgiving break, teachers feel the need to give us loads of exams so we can earn our freedom through hours of grueling tests.

0 comments:

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online