Thursday, December 3, 2009

How to get funding for projects

Here's the situation: You have the most massive idea ever. You just drank 3 red bulls and you're convinced that your laser sunglasses will sell like one of Apple's computers that come out every other day. The problem: you have $3 in your Paypal account after buying some nun chucks and X-Ray vision goggles. So, how do you get funding for prototyping?

1) Get an investor!

Easier said than done, the investor's security blanket is a fat packet of Excel spreadsheets, so you will be expected to have every cost calculated and scrutinized.


What do you mean you're not funding my Star Trek PEZ collection?! They're crucial to marketing. Duh.

Or if you're a student, you could always make a family member an "investor".

Hey dad, I have a really cool EDUCATIONAL idea that is crucial to my future success...

2) Ebay.

It may sound dumb, but ebay is my favorite way to pay for projects. I get to trade that really ugly messenger bag I have for a prototype. I'm serious, I'm actually selling a really ugly messenger bag on ebay, and someone is bidding on it!

I'm not a fan of long get-rich-quick ideas that litter the web like old socks, so I'll stop here. Get an investor, sell some stuff on ebay, and that's all you should need to build your laser sunglasses.

6 comments:

kurtnele said...

Interesting note about the spreadsheet. Perhaps it would be wise to have a plan down that can be looked over by other people to determine if you're crazy or brilliant :)

Brennon said...

Exactly. And what better way to convince people you're brilliant than by giving them a thick packet of spreadsheets? :)

Australian Woman said...

I would add one more caveat: grow organically. After selling stuff on eBay, you can use those proceeds to buy 1 or 2 items and then sell those. Rinse and repeat. That way, you are your own investor.

MileyCyrus said...

try making a son, video, or lectures/podcasts on itunes and try to make some money on those. I know I would buy.

Brennon said...

Good idea, my voice sounds pretty bad on tape (really, who's doesn't?) but I'd like to do something like that in the future for BW Science Labs. Not sure if I could charge anything for it though, nearly all podcasts are free.

Unknown said...

When you are working on science project, you need a good project budget and points you made is right did get good information.
spectrophotometer cuvettes
http://www.precisioncells.com/categories/Spectrophotometer-Cuvettes/1/1

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online