Saturday, January 10, 2009

What's Going on at Frequency 14.250?

While looking through the MAKE Blog I came across a very interesting post. I love little more than finding scientific mysteries, and discovering the truth behind them, so this really fascinates me.

Apparently, there has been an erie sound has been aired on frequency 14.250 MHz that is strong enough to be picked up in most of the world. It was first reported on New Year's day, as has not stopped. If you have a HAM radio, and are licensed my the FCC, then you've most likely heard it. There is a forum discussion about it here. So far, all the chatter that I've heard is from HAM radio nerds, nothing from the FCC. However, this is understandable, as it is not the FCC's job to investigate weird sounds that are being broadcasted, probably by some guy for fun.

If you're like me, and you've seen about 175 episodes of The X-Files, then you'll have a tendency to jump to conclusions on the unexplained. However the phrase from the show remains the same: "I want to believe". It would be very exciting if this was an encrypted message or something even stranger, however the answer is most likely something simpler. I.e. yet another HAM radio geek who thought it would be fun to make a little mix in Audacity and broadcast it.

On the MAKE site a user called "Synthesizer Geek Delux" posted this:

"This sounds like a synthesized or heavily sampled human voice. However they then took that still humanish sounding voice and used it as the Filter for the feedbacky wave sound you hear. This is called Convolution in some fields. Others have called it 'Morphing' of two samples.

I concur with some of the theories above that this is a Numbers Station that someone is attempting to conceal with audio processing."

So then what could be in the recording (assuming it is really a "Morphed" audio file)?

It would most likely be someone saying "Congratulations! You have cracked the code!" over and over again.

As you can see, I've taken the skeptic, expect-the-least-exciting, approach. Regardless, I'd love to hear your theory, and if you have a HAM radio, record the audio and email it to me.

2 comments:

lorrielink said...

im sure its a person, who is really good at this stuff. and probably in the U.S. as it started on our new years eve. i dont have a ham radio, but i hope you get some audio to share.

Brennon said...

I'm working on it :)

Oh, and thanks for commenting.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online