Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Coming Soon: A BW Science Labs App on The iTunes Store!

I understand it has been a while since I've updated, and I apologize for that. However, I have not neglected BW Science Labs. On the contrary, I've been working more than ever on it.

I was curious to see how well the iPhone could load BWSL, so I borrowed a friend's iPhone, opened Safari, and typed in www.bwsciencelabs.com. I was very disappointed. It took an extremely long time to load, at lease a few minutes. "This is no way to periodically check for updates," I told myself. I had to do something...

Using the iPhone SDK (or Software Development Kit) I have been developing a BW Science Labs application that will display all of the most recent articles in an easy to access format. It automatically updates its self, and will only open up safari when an article is clicked. I wrote it in Objective-C, and made sure there would be no memory leaks, however, it not very pretty and it still has to open up safari and take a while to load once tapped. So, I created another version in Dashcode, rather than what I just made in Xcode.

As it turns out, the Dashcode version is beautiful. It's very aesthetically pleasing to look at, its simple, and fast. It does not need to open up Safari, it loads all text and images swiftly when a single article is tapped, much, much faster than the previous version.

However, since I made it in Dashcode, and not Xcode, it will be much harder to put on to the app store. Believe me, I'm currently working as fast as I can to test it on my own iPod Touch, debug it, and later upload it to the app store. The are several hoops I have to jump through, lots of legal stuff to deal with, and so on, so please be patient. There is also a tiny chance that Apple will reject my App altogether, so it will never be on.

So how much will it cost?

To cover the expense of licenses(very pricey), labor, etc. I may charge $0.99 if I end up using the Dashcode version, but it will more likely be FREE if I end up using the Xcode version, which is not nearly as good.

Keep your fingers crossed that it all works flawlessly!

1 comments:

phogLite said...

Have you tried google reader (RSS) on iphone / touch? I use it for checking blogs that I've subscribed to. It's not as much fun as making an iphone app but it works for loading anything with RSS feeds. Your site loads quick and clean on it as well. -Keith

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online