Thursday, December 11, 2008

Meteorites and Computer Programming

Today I gave a small, fun presentation in Science class on meteorites. More importantly, I used Scratch to make a meteorite trajectory simulation. A few years ago MIT created a simple program called Scratch that kids could use to create games, animations, etc. This program was what first got me interested in programming, and inspired me to move on to other programming languages. Its simple building block style makes it a joy to use, as kindergartners can make programs as well.

One of the best things is that on the Scratch Website you can post everything you make in a single click. For me presentation, I made a short quiz on meteorites, and put it online. Then, the students used laptops and took the quiz. It worked flawlessly. You can take my quiz here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a stimulating,relatively inexpensive, educational idea for a gift for a young person (or sprightly older one) for Christmas-- learning and enjoying meteorites and programming.

Brennon said...

Actually, Scratch is free. :)

Anonymous said...

All the better. Thanks.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online