Sunday, December 7, 2008

Jailbreak the Ipod Touch

I've heard a lot about Jailbreaking the IPhone and the Ipod Touch, so I wanted to see for myself how cool it really is.

So firstly, what is Jailbreaking?

When you "Jailbreak" an Ipod Touch you usually put two new apps on it: Installer and Cydia. These programs in turn let you install many more games, utilities, etc.

I downloaded Ziphone (visit the site here) for my mac to see if it would work, but unfortunately after several tries it would only keep making me restore my ipod touch.

Kevin Lin has a video on Youtube promoting his jailbroken Itouch on ebay, so I asked him what program he used. Apparently, QuickPwn (visit the site here) works, so I installed and ran it. Surprisingly, it worked almost flawlessly, though there is supposed to be a small risk involved.

I make my slider look like a Space Invaders game, and I changed all my app icons to Star Wars images. However, I didn't get any new quality applications. I was pretty disappointed.



[Please excuse the low-quality images]

So was it worth it?

I honestly don't think that Jailbreaking an Ipod (or Iphone) is worth the time or risk. Though you get some bragging rights and a better looking GUI the available
applications can't do a whole lot. Most of the applications in the iTunes store are great, and usually low cost. Also, during the holiday season some games and apps are on discounts of up to 80% off. I think I'll stick with iTunes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting!!

Anonymous said...

After reading through this posting, I was especially happy that you gave your opinion and advice about the jailbreak. No doubt your sensible analysis has saved others time, trouble and money also. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Look for Installous in Cydia which lets you find, download, and install cracked iTunes apps. But first, you have to find the miPatch, so that it patches a special MobileInstallation file so you could install cracked apps. Also, did you try Cycorder in Cydia? Really nice video recorder.

Brennon said...

The new iTunes update un-jailbroke my iTouch, and I decided it wasn't worth the trouble of going back and reinstalling the programs. Also, I can't record video with an iTouch. :(

For now I'm happy with the iTunes apps, but I had some fun exploring other alternatives.

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online