Saturday, October 3, 2009

Final Thoughts on Linux

I've been using computers for a while now, but always running Mac OSX or Windows. However, recently I've tested the Linux waters. I installed both OpenSolaris and Ubuntu to see what all the Linux hype was all about*.

OpenSolaris

Open Solaris is pretty cool looking. It has neatly structured top and bottom bars that are simple and avoid clutter. The workspaces are useful as the user can easily switch between 4 desktops. I especially like the idea of having a built-in software catalog which can be used to find all kinds of programs to download.

I have a strict policy on free things: never complain about something that costs you nothing. This is something that seems to have slipped the minds of a lot of free software users**. That said, OpenSolaris is not without flaws. When I was entering my information into the computer after I first turned it on OpenSolaris asked me for a username and password, which the computer said were optional. I decided to enter in a password later, so I left the text fields blank. Later when the computer restarted there was a prompt for a username and password, which did not exist. I reinstalled Open Solaris from a disk that I fortunately had on hand. When my computer was fully operational several errors popped up on the screen saying that it could not connect to the wireless network I had. I used Sun's tech support forum at opensolaris.org and this is the response I got:

Do you have security enabled on your wireless network (ie router or access-point)? Your driver may not be capable of security like I just found out with the iwh0 driver....

Alternatively are you using DHCP or static as you would need to turn off nwam if using static.

Or if go to console and su to root, then use ifconfig coupled with wificonfig to create a profile and setup auto-dhcp or plain dhcp for your adapter - that may help!

Just a few thoughts anyway :-)



Rather than go through all of the "coupling" and "ifconfiging" I decided to try out Ubuntu next.***

For the record, it seems that my case was an isolated incident as I found very few other reports with the same errors, all in all OpenSolaris isn't a bad Operating system.


Ubuntu

When I installed Ubuntu it connected to my wireless network with ease, and Firefox was neatly tucked in the top bar. The username and password prompt screen looked really cool, I almost felt like I was in 24****. For some reason my sound was not working on Ubuntu while it worked on other Operating Systems I tested. However, like OpenSolaris it has an easy to use software installer built in which I liked using, along with a built in internet radio and some kind of iTunes-like music software. Ubuntu is fun to use and very aesthetically pleasing, especially all of the super cool 3D sleep mode animations.

Linux is fantastic as it is free, and there are all kinds of open source variations out there. I'm glad to see that there are options extending beyond the world of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.



Footnotes:


*: Seriously, have you seen these Linux guys wearing their "Hacking is not a crime" T-Shirts?
**: Just look at all of the less-than-constructive criticism new game programmers get on the App Store and on Flash portals.
***: You may be chuckling at my wifi ignorance, but to me most of that message was like spanish to me (ask my spanish teacher and you'll know what that means).
****: Minus the dramatic sound effects and spinny chairs (I have to keep dreaming about a chair that can rotate a full 360 degrees).

0 comments:

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online